Skip to content

Archive for

Proofing day

At this point, three blocks (of six total)
are close enough to completion that I was 
finally able to proof them today.

text block proof

The text block needs more clearing and sanding in the background as well as
tidying up around the text.

mom proof

Silhouette block #1 also needs 
more work on the background to even it out 
to help prevent ink being transferred to the paper. 

dad proof

Same issue with this block, although here I 
had serious swirly baren marks!

28 Dec 2015

Artist Talk at TLP

Last week, as part of my residency at 
Tiger Lily Press, I gave an hour long talk
on my recent work and discussed the process
of mokuhanga and chine colle.

arttalk1

Here I’m showing the three woodblocks
used in printing the color for this image, as well as
the original silverpoint drawing, the chine colle
copy of the drawing and the finished print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arttalk2

Close up of the finished print, “Dead Weight”,
and drawing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arttalk3

These are two of the woodblocks that were 
overprinted onto a photographic image.
“Prayers for a Happy Death 3”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arttalk4

I also brought along some a few tools 
used in the mokuhanga process including these
Japanese brushes for applying ink
to the block.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arttalk5

The only etching I had time to do this past year.
One copper plate, which was editioned at three different
stages as I made progress on the image.
This is “Creep 2” and “Creep 3”.

15 Dec 2015