Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘color woodcut’

ネットパターンの木版彫刻

OK, my post title roughly translates
to “woodblock carving of net pattern”.
That would be an age old Japanese method of
carving delicate linework such as hair,
tree branches, and of course..nets.

The method involves utilizing two woodblocks,
one with horizontal lines and the other
with vertical lines. When printed on top of each other,
a crosshatched pattern is achieved.

I decided to give it a try for this
current reduction print I’m working on.
My results are truly underwhelming compared to
the early Japanese prints that I’ve studied.

I used a straight edge and the smallest u-gouge (1mm)
to make the lines. It was truly tedious and time consuming,
but I can know say that I’ve tried it, and it
may be the last time that I do!

aura1

aura2

Below are the two carved blocks,
the lines were carved at opposing 45 degree angles
instead of vertical & horizontal.

lines1

lines2

14 Oct 2015

Done

 

Untitled
14″ X 14″ moku hanga reduction woodcut
edition: 5
Last week, after working on this image
for two months, I decided it was
time to bring it to an end.
This was my first color woodcut,
and the first time for me to
use more than one block (both
sides of two blocks were used). I was
surprised at how much wood that was left
on the blocks, it was possible
for me to keep right on printing but
enough was enough!
Generally I like to keep careful records
of ink mixtures, number of times
I print, etc.
Somewhere along the way, I lost
track of doing that. I think
that at least 12 different colors were
used, or countless variations of those. The background
was printed at least 8 times, and
overall the entire image
was overprinted roughly
35-40 times.
The paper (Torinoko)
held up very well despite
eventually showing some signs
of wear.
I guess I’ll continue pursuing color
printing since I just invested
in a wider selection of color inks!
Comments Off on Done
23 Apr 2012

continuing on with color……

Since my last post on this color woodblock,
I’ve been steadily overprinting
with pale washes of color to warm up
the flesh tones. Although my
selections of reds are limited and
the ones I’m using aren’t exactly the
correct shades, but I’m
making do with what I have on hand.
One thing I really like about using multiple
blocks is the ability to print
numerous colors one right after the other.
What a time saver!
This weekend I’ve printed four times already.
The last was using this block to start
building up some of the shadows in the face.
I used the same pale blue-gray as the background.
At this point it doesn’t register as blue,
but I’ll plan on cautiously overprinting
the same area until it
gets to where I want it.
The background, shirt, tie & vest
are “on hold” for now until the face is done.
Then I’ll have a better idea
what direction those areas
will go in.
18 Mar 2012

color woodblock printing

I’ve ventured into scary territory….color woodblock printing!
My last attempt at any sort of color printmaking
was at least 30 years ago. Back then I
tried color lithography & etching,
 everything I did was a dismal dud.
So it was B&W only from that point onward.
But this year I wanted to try explore new areas
of printmaking. Not only is this my first
color woodblock print, but also the first multi block one.
It started with a master sketch and
separate color break downs. It wasn’t long
before I threw all of that aside, too tedious
and time consuming, and decided to
just “wing it” and see what happened.
I have two 14″ X 14″ blocks and
am using both sides of each. The reduction
process is pretty comfortable for me
so I’m using that technique as much
as possible.
After trying some dry pigments (not
successful for me), I settled on using gouache.
So far, I think I’ve printed 18 times.
I’m being very safe and either watering down,
or muting every color I use.
Consequently my image looks flat at the moment.
Luckily I have plenty of
wood left so I intend on continuing
to overprint to beef up the image.
Plus, I’ve made some ridiculous carving blunders,
and I hope to correct those as well.
4 Mar 2012

plodding along…

This current reduction woodcut
that I’m working on is a 
continuation of my
“draped” Buddha head theme.

This image is more complex that the last one, 
with the drape being transparent.
Something I’ve never tried before in a 
woodcut, so we’ll see if I can
 pull this one off!

The trouble with reduction prints
is that it takes some time for
the image to begin to “appear” and
actually look like something.
This process has definitely 
taught me patience!
Today I printed the sixth reduction,
with the Buddha’s face just beginning to
show in the upper left corner.
13 Aug 2011

Broken tool


Geez, it’s never a good thing to break a tool, 
but this one was new!
Perhaps it’s time I 
start investing in better quality ones.

24 Jul 2011